Sunday, September 9, 2012

Venting

What is Art? A question I've never really had a solid answer to. But in my opinion it's not taking a picture of a flower, making in black and white and blowing it up on canvas. Now, say this this was all done a few years ago, in a dark room, making your own prints, dodging and burning, etc. ... then I would look at it as art. It's all about the process for me. Painting, pottery, printmaking, even tattooing. You have to start with an idea, sketch it out, set yourself up and make sure everything is in line, everything is prepared. Then you can start your piece. You put time, and emotion into it. Make it personal. Put your own twist on it. Even when you think your piece is done, theres always something else you think you'd like to change, or there is a way to make it better.
Don't get me wrong, i enjoy black and white. i enjoy photos. I don't enjoy when a photo of a flower, or a weed in a field gets "Best of Show" over paintings, prints, ceramics, and even glass blowing and jewelry (which i don't particularly like, but its a craft and it takes years to master, which I have respect for).  Photography is simply capturing God's creations in a moment. He did the artwork, they are just photographing it.
This is just me venting about something I saw today that really bothered me.

No comments:

Post a Comment